Friday, April 29, 2011

Transparency Theory

I have this theory that all things sheer or otherwise transparent are magic. Because, if you think about it, what you see is a physical object, and yet you can still watch the world through it. Our long exposure to this phenomenon, and the knowledge that tells us about form and matter and chemical makeup, has removed us from seeing it as such; and yet, sheer fabrics, wine glasses, bubbles: magic. Considering their tendency to denote a clear glass with a mere white brush stroke here and there, applying no layer of paint to represent its surface texture, I think the painters in the old days knew this.

I said this to my dad and he told me [my] imagination is the force behind [seeing] magic. And then I was happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking.